Bishop McNamara High School is seeking a visionary and innovative educational leader and administrator to serve as School Principal. In partnership with the President, the Principal oversees the daily operations of the school, upholds the highest academic standards through curricular and instructional leadership, supports all learners, and fosters a school environment compatible with the philosophy and spirit of a Catholic, Holy Cross education.
The new Principal will inherit an organization that has experienced tremendous growth, success and expansion over the past 25 years, introduced a number of initiatives and improvements to the School, and is in the planning process for the addition of a new STEM and Innovation Center. However, there remains much to do to fully realize the potential of our School, and to more readily meet the human and financial needs going forward. Therefore, Bishop McNamara High School seeks a gifted Catholic leader with the gravitas and credibility to lead and represent its’ School with integrity, a bold leader with a track record of building success and driving change, and a commitment to Catholic education, evangelization, service, and social justice.
To qualify, you will need to be a Catholic with passion for mission and a desire to work in and lead a diverse, multicultural community.
To educate hearts and minds in a dynamic, inclusive Catholic school community rooted in the Holy Cross tradition
Empowered leaders, inspired by the Gospel, transforming the world
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Mission and Philosophy of the School
- Work with the President to ensure the Catholic and Holy Cross identity of the school is clearly articulated to the school community;
- Working with the Administrative Team, assesses needs and develops programs to assure that the programs for the spiritual and professional growth of the faculty are planned and implemented;
- Assure the policies necessary for the daily operations of the school reflect the school's mission, vision and values as a Catholic and Holy Cross institution.
- Encourage participation by students, faculty, staff and school families in liturgical celebrations during and after school hours;
- Model Catholic values in all interactions with faculty/staff, students, school families and the greater community;
- Require that all religion teachers are in compliance with the ADW catechist certificaton requirements and are practicing, committed Catholics;
- Promote a faith-based school community that it rooted in Catholic traditions and practices;
- Formulate a schedule that allows for routine prayer, liturgies and paraliturgies.
- Create an atmosphere of rigorous academic standards and achievement for all students and faculty;
- Along with the Academic Dean, routinely observe instruction and provide feedback to teachers to assure the lessons are balanced and incorporate all the elements of an effective lesson;
- Provide guidance, time and support to enable teachers to effective use data to inform and improve instruction;
- Promote the use of differentiated instruction, appropriate interventions to assure that all students are successful
- Leverage technology to access, organize and deliver instructional materials
Administration - Administrative Team
- Appoint individuals to all administrative positions, in conjunction with the President;
- Establish a specific job description with clear areas of authority for the members of the Administrative Team;
- Provide opportunities for administrators to develop professionally;
- Evaluate the performance of individuals on the Administrative Team;
- Meet regularly (usually weekly) with the President to review, plan, coordinate the operations of the school;
- Involve the Administrative Team in decisions affecting policy and operations.
Administration - Department Chairs
In collaboration with the Academic Dean:
- Using a process of consultation, appoint chairpersons for a term of two years;
- Provide for the professional development of chairpersons;
- Evaluate the performance of the chairpersons, in consultation with the assistants
- Review teacher performance with each chairperson;
- Review the effectiveness of each department's curriculum;
- Consult with the President and Board members regarding departmental needs in all budgetary matters.
Administration - Teachers
- Provide teachers with a clear vision and understanding of the religious dimension of the school, in collaboration with the President
- Work with the Administrative Team to provide the needed support system for each teacher;
- Work with the Administrative Team to oversee annual supervision, professional development, and evaluation of all faculty;
- Make decisions regarding contract renewal;
- Interview and hire new faculty;
- Review and revise the faculty handbook in consultation with the Administrative Team
- Collect and review all curriculum material submitted by each department.
Program of Studies
- Working with the Administrative Team, sets policies and procedures regarding suspension and dismissal of students and abides by federal and state laws regarding promotion and graduation.
- Establish a periodic review of school regulations and sees that these are enforced;
- Ensure ongoing curriculum development;
- Determines the curriculum and methods of instruction of the school
- Upon recommendation of the Academic Board, makes additions and deletions to the curriculum;
- Prepare course offerings booklet in consultation with the Academic Board;
- In consultation with the Administrative Team and chairpersons, plan and implement the master schedule;
- Review and approve all recommendations for textbook adoptions;
- Review and approve/deny field trip applications;
- Monitor student academic progress;
- Supervise grade reporting and permanent academic records;
- Supervise preparation of the honor rolls, honor passes and failure lists;
- Work with the Counseling Center to assess any problems that students are having academically;
- Prepare and publish eligibility lists, notify other teams as needed
- Coordinate the awards ceremonies and other forms of student and faculty/staff recognition;
- Make decisions regarding academic probation, promotion and dismissal;
- Construct the semester and final examination schedule.
- In concert with the Administrative Team, set and publish the annual calendar assuring that all MSDE requirements are met;
- Delegate the arranging of faculty substitutions and maintaining attendance records of the faculty;
- Plan and run parent-teacher orientation and conferences;
- Post, on a regular basis, any notices and memos, including parent communications, regarding the daily operation of the school and publish a weekly calendar for teachers;
- Attend, on a rotating basis with other administrators, the extracurricular functions of the school;
- Is responsible with the President for the school's response to various bureaucracies, such as the Maryland State Department of Education, the Congregation of Holy Cross, Moreau Province, and the Catholic Schools Office of the Archdiocese of Washington;
- Attend meetings of the Board of Directors and report at each meeting concerning the activities and academic progress of the school;
- Attend fundraising events and activities as requested by the President;
- Attend meetings of the Parents’ Club.
- Work with Administrative Team to ensure the implementation, maintenance and evaluation of all student services, i.e., religious, academic, counseling, programs, nurse, etc.;
- Review and approve activities moderatorship;
- In cooperation with the Director of Student Activities and the Athletics Director, ensure the implementation, maintenance and evaluation of student activities, clubs and athletics.
- Communicate regularly with the President on school related issues;
- Produce an up-to-date Parent/Student Handbook which clearly states the policies and procedures of the school;
- Establish effective home/school communications through the use of social media, email, website, newsletters, etc.;
- Display strong verbal and written communication skills
- Use strong interpersonal skills to work with diverse groups of people and opinions.
- Oversee a process for admissions, marketing and recruitment in conjunction with the Director of Admissions and the school President;
- Maintain final responsibility for acceptance or denial of student applications for enrollment.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This position directly supervises the following roles:
- Academic Dean
- Assistant Principal
- Dean of Students
- Dean of Student Activities
- Executive Assistant to the Principal
- Director of School and College Counseling
- Director of Student Support
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s Degree in Education or similar field required
- Minimum of five years experience in education
- Minimum of three years of administrative and supervisory experience required
CERTIFICATIONS AND/OR LICENSES:
Bishop McNamara High School is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Religious corporations, associations, educational institutions, or societies are exempt from the federal laws that EEOC enforces when it comes to the employment of individuals based on their particular religion.